My Photo
Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I was Born in Melbourne, Australia. I Graduated at R.M.I.T. University then left for Japan in 1993. Returned to Australia just after the Hanshin Earthquake, 1995. Worked in Australia for a year then moved back to Osaka in 1996. I worked for a variety of schools, such as The Osaka YMCA International College, IBU (International Buddhist University) and Kwansei Gakuin University (Kangaku). I have completed a Master of Education (TESOL) program at USQ, Bachelor of Teaching (R.M.I.T) and Certificate IV in Training and Assessment (C.B.D College). I have been working in Melbourne since 2014. I am now working at a very new and very dynamic school called Explore English in Collins Street. Contact me at: mondosworld@gmail.com

Monday, February 20, 2006

"The Operation" By Shinya Tsutsubuchi

I’m Jerry, a 29-year-old man, from the Czech Republic. I’m a full time factory worker in Prague and live with my parents. My dear girlfriend, Lucy, a beautiful 24-year-old girl, helps me a lot and we have been together for nearly a year. My dad had been working hard as a carpenter. But, he developed a severe backache from overworking last month. We had to support our life and make money because he couldn’t work and it cost a lot for his operation. “It’s not possible for me to pay for the cost of his operation with my bloody low salary! What can I do? Am I going to just watch him suffering and waiting for his death?” I thought.
The next day, it was warm comfortable weather, the same as yesterday. It was my day off and I met my girlfriend and talked about my situation. She has a lot of international friends and she recommended that I work in the U.K.
“As you know, the U.K is a rich country and prices are extremely high compared to Czech. You could work away from home, darling” she said.
“But what’s happening between us!? I can’t leave you, I miss you, honey!”
“Yeah of course, I know, but don’t you think it’s about time to be independent and besides, you have to save your dad? You know better than to avoid it, don’t you?”
“But I ah…don’t want to leave…and I…can’t make up my mind to...to…um…” “To what!? You are always so indecisive. There is no time to think twice!!”
She persuaded me. I nodded at what she said. I realized that this opportunity was a turning point in life and my family’s bright fortune as well.
It was a miserable and foggy first thing in the morning when I got to Portsmouth, England. I caught a coach to Birmingham to meet Lucy’s friend, Monika. She lives in the north of Birmingham, Wolverhamptom. She was absolutely gorgeous and enchanting. I spoke little English, so I hoped she’d help me a lot about living in Britain. She had already prepared a cheap flat and a job for me. I worked in a small hotel, “the Wellington”, as a cook and a waiter. So far so good, but gradually I began to struggle with the work. I couldn’t communicate very well with customers or even the other staff. Many of the staff insulted me because of my broken English and they behaved discriminately forward me because of my nationality.
I put up with it. I studied English more than before, sometimes until 3 o’clock in the morning. In fact, I didn’t have enough time to sleep, but I want to look back at them in my improved English. Monika worried about me and sometimes she helped me and tried to cheer me up. Little by little, I was encouraged by her advice. Since then I don’t know why, but I began to feel a kind of love for her without knowing it. I felt that I stabbed my girlfriend in the back, but she was absorbed in my heart. Also I supposed that she might pay attention to me as a man for a love. She came to my flat and cooked dinner for me. She taught me English every single day. We became close and one day she confessed her love for me. I thought she was absolutely gorgeous and she hit it off with me, but I had to think of my dear girlfriend and I didn’t want to see her crying and hurting. Finally I decided to refuse her confession kindly.
“Please understand my situation, Monika. You are one of the nicest and most beautiful women I’ve ever met. But I have a partner and my purpose here is to save my family. Sorry Monika.”
“I couldn’t hide my feelings, I’m sorry for confusing you. Anyway if you need some help, give me a ring anytime, Jerry…bye for now.”
“Thank you, I’m glad to hear that.”
Since then I have been absorbed in my work to get money and send it to my parents. My salary still wasn’t enough in the U.K, but it was quite good money for my country. I kept sending half of my salary to my parents every week. I could manage to live on the rest of the money and I was happy with being in England. Afterwards, I realized my English was improving and I could work smoothly. My boss approved of my hard work and my improved English. I was given jobs as a receptionist and an accountant. My salary went up to double my previous salary. At last I looked back to the staff who had insulted me. I didn’t want to hurt them, just keep nice company with them. As a result of my effort, everyone approved of me and the atmosphere between us improved. I was satisfied with the result, and thanked Monika, the staff and my girlfriend, Lucy.
A month later, I earned quite enough money for my dad’s operation. His back had been getting worse. He’d been fighting with the symptoms. We decided to have his operation in a hospital called the Prague Central Hospital. In spite of the doctors’ elaborate effort, his operation wasn’t a complete success and he needed another operation in a more sophisticated hospital. My family was very disappointed at the bad result.
I had to start earning again and had to get some information about better hospitals and doctors in the world. One day, I remembered that one of my customers in London said he was a doctor, had stayed a night in our hotel. His name was Dr. Jack and according to rumor, he was really one of the shrewdest doctors in the world, but he was a private non-licensed doctor. Also he made a demand on anyone who needed his operation for an incredibly high fee. I was interested in finding out more about him. I soon found his address and mobile number from our resident cards and I went to meet him there. I told him everything about my background and situation.
“Let’s make a deal,” the doctor said.
“You know I can’t really pay much and I can’t even afford to support my family”
“In this case, I demand 50,000 pounds. However if I succeed, pay me only 500 pounds and let me stay for free in the best suite room for a year in the hotel that you worked at. If I fail, I’ll pay you 2,000 pounds for his recovery and for another operation,” he said confidently.
“I have no time to think…and I do believe you! Alright, then. It’s a deal”
“Bring him here and the operation will be on Sunday, four days from now, right?”
I didn’t have the confidence to confess my decision to the owner of the hotel, but I had to do it. I thought that the hotel owner would be against my decision. On the contrary, she was pleased and she supported me. Then I prepared everything I needed to take my dad.
It was a lovely Sunday morning, the operation started at 10 o’clock sharp and my mum and I hoped for success. It took about 4 hours and then the doctor came up to us. “I did it. It was a struggle, but I could sort it out. He needs to stay in bed only for a few days. Don’t forget the promise,” he said calmly.
I was sure that he had really great skills. He must be “Dr. Black Jack,” I thought. I quit my job straight after earning the 500 pounds and my boss agreed to allow him to stay. It was a precious experience in the U.K, and I thanked everyone around me, Monika, the staff, the owner of the hotel and Dr. Jack. It was possible for me to stay in the U.K to get more money. However I’d rather choose an ordinary life in my lovely Czech with my dearest family and Lucy.
The End

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home